Online Music Lesson Guidelines and Tips!
Starting with Zoom
Zoom is an app that allows people to meet face-to-face online with video and audio features. It’s free and safe! Zoom works on all devices: laptops, tablets and smartphones. It also works on all operating systems.
- Start by downloading the FREE Zoom Cloud Meeting app on the device you will be using for your lesson:
iPhone or iPad
Phone or Tablet
|Desktop or Laptop|
Setting Up Your Zoom Account
- “Please enter your name.” You’ll see this the first time only. Type your name in the field.
- “Zoom Would Like to Access the Camera.” Choose OK.
- “Join with Video.” Press the blue button.
- “Zoom Would Like to Access the Microphone.” Choose OK.
- “Zoom Would Like to Send You Notifications.” This is up to you.
- In “Advanced settings” on laptops choose “Enable original sound.” This means music will come through clearly without being suppressed as background noise.
Online Lesson Tips
One hour before your lesson…
- Be sure your device is fully charged.
- Gather all of your music books/sheet music and assignment book.
- Make sure you have a pencil and eraser.
10 minutes before your lesson…
- Make sure you’ve already used the washroom.
- Remind other members in your household that it’s time to limit their internet use. If someone in your home were streaming a movie, it would create a very poor connection for the online lesson.
- Be ready at your instrument. (Very young students be ready with your parent helper.)
- Set up your device as suggested.